Sunday, May 24, 2009

Geez, where has the time gone?!?

I can't believe it's been 3 months since I've posted - so much for bi-monthly updates! LOL I've been busy and trying to remember to take pics, but every time I thought about updating my blog, I thought I should be working on "The Token" instead. I'm very happy to report that on Tuesday, only a month late, I finally put the in the last stitch!! YEH!!!

So here is is! Since it's stitched on 40 ct, it really looks smaller than all the work that went into it, but I'm really pleased with how it turned out. It's stitched on a hand-dyed linen, but I can't remember which one. The thread is my favorite Gloriana Cranberry!

Now I can finally move on to something else! LOL Friday, I started Welcome to Cupid's Garden by A Kitty Kats Original. I'm using some of the threads that I dyed myself and I love how it's looking so far. I hope to finish it soon.

Now to be fair, I have stitched on a few other things the last few months when I was away from home.

I started Little House Needlework's American Sampling on my trip to Virgina. Didn't get too far, but it was fun to stitch on something patriotic while I was there.

I also started an Easter piece to work on while I'm away from home. It's Hop by The Trillogy. I bought both of these kits on clearance from Pine Needles almost two years ago - it's nice to finally be working on them.

So, that leads me to my Virgina trip! I went the first weekend in March for the Bead Retreat National Conference in Newport News. It was SO much fun!

Here is a pic of me with my sponsor Sarah (in the middle) and her sponsor Dawn (on the right) before the Black & White themed Friday night awards banquet.

And here is Sarah and me with co-founders Cindi Swett and Lisa Shephard on the final day of conference.

Everything was wonderful, but I have to admit my favorite part was the unveiling of the new Seven Collection catalog! We got to see EVERYTHING in person - it was overwhelming at first - but such a great opportunity! I went home with OODLES of kits to make - and I've bought more since - I just love it all - LOL.

After the showcase of the new collection, some of us went to the hotel bar and broke out our kits. I had a Newport News Mellontini - yummy! But I must admit, I had to work on kit with bigger beads! ROFLOL

In April, I had a Seven Collection open house and served Seven Layer Dip, chocolate cupcakes with Seven Minute Icing and 7-Up - too much fun! LOL

After the conference was over Sunday afternoon, I met Laura and Jennifer in Williamsburg! I've always wanted to go there, and we had SO much fun together - but 1 1/2 days is NOT near enough time to see what I wanted to.

Jen made the cutest little gifts for Laura and me from the Blackbird Designs book My Heart is True. You can see Jen's post about it here, she actually posted about it in a timely manner! LOL

So after we met up at the hotel, we went over to Colonial Williamsburg for lunch at The Cheese Shop, where I got (what else?) a fantastic cheese plate! I was so enamored with it, I took a picture. I actually had to save the rest of it for dinner - that was a LOT of cheese! LOL

We walked though the old cemetery and came across this stone - I loved the inscription. It says: Here sleeps in Jesus united to Him by Faith and the Graces of a christian life, all that was Mortal of Mrs Ann Burges once the tender and affectionate Wife of the Revd Henry John Burges of the Isle of Wight: She died December 1771 in giving Birth to an Infant Daughter, who rests in her arms. She here waits the transporting moment when the Trump of God shall call her Forth to Glory, Honour & Immortality. Oh Death where is thy Sting. Oh Grave where is thy Victory.

After looking around some of the shops, we took an evening Lanthorn walking tour, which was really interesting.

Here is the Battery at sunset.

And this is a picture in the wig-maker's shop by lamp-light.

After the tour, we went back to the hotel, ate, chatted, beaded, chatted, swapped stash, chatted and even stitched (a tiny bit!). LOL The next morning we went back to Colonial Williamsburg and walked around all day.

For lunch, we went to Chowning's Tavern, where I had a delicious slice of peanut pie for dessert! I ended up buying The Colonial Williamsburg Cookbook and made that pie for Easter :)

And here's Jen and Laura in the maze at the Governor's Mansion. I'd always wanted to walk through a maze like that!

Here's what it looked like from above.

And we saw a hornbook in the silversmith's house, which I thought was pretty cool.

Laura and I took a drop spindle class later that day after Jen went home. It was really fun, but I must admit, I haven't picked it up again. One of these days!

I could spend all night showing all the pics I took that day, but I'll spare you that and put them in my Webshots album - LOL

On April 16th, Justin and I celebrated our 20th anniversary!

We went down to Thanksgiving Point south of Salt Lake City and visited the Museum of Ancient Life, which has the largest collection of mounted dinosaurs in the world. We had a great time! When were were dating, we went to a dinosaur museum, so it was fun to do something like that again. For dinner we went to The Harvest restaurant, where I was able to have another cheese plate for our starter - LOL

On Sunday of that week, we drove over to Bear Lake and walked along the beach. Here's Justin trying to skip seashells (there were no flat rocks). He was actually pretty successful! :)

For Easter, I made a FANTASTIC pork roast. I found the recipe on the Food Network website and it's by Bobby Flay. I highly recommend it. I didn't get a chance to take a picture, but trust me on this, it was terrific!

After dinner, we went outside for a little pellet gun shooting. Wanna know what we were shooting at?


BTW, it was me who shot that pink egg :)

Let's see, what else has been going on?

Last weekend I participated in my first craft show. This was at Black & White Days in Richmond, Utah, which is about 20 minutes north of me. It was a very small show and pretty slow, but it was a beautiful day and I enjoyed myself. I hope to be able to do a few more this summer. It's a great way to reach new people!

I also had a great mail day this last week!

Cheryl sent me this piece in exchange for me making a necklace kit she bought from the new catalog (the beautiful Kyanite one on the cover!). This is a freebie from Aurelle called L'ete (Summer) and Cheryl made it into a sewing roll.

It's a perfect fit for my blossoming red-work collection!

And Laura made me this wonderful bag with some of the cutest kitty fabric!

Thanks again Laura and Cheryl!!

I think that about does it for now. I'll try not to wait another three months for my next post!


LODY said...

The Token is fabulous Rachel! I love the gifts Jen, Cheryl & Laura made for you.

I was salivating here just thinking of all the food you blogged about. LOL

Your vacation and escapade with Jen and Laura sounds so much fun.:) And congrats on your first craft show... it's so much fun, isn't it?:) Attending such show is a great networking strategy.

Happy 20th wedding anniversary!

Loraine said...

Wow Rachel! I'm glad your back into the blogging scene.
I'm thrilled you got "The Token" done! That was a very intense project. Happy anniversary!
I'm loving all of your pictures from your trip. I can't wait to visit that area someday soon!
Have a great day.

Katrina said...

Too funny, I was just thinking the other day it had been a long time since you posted :-). Looks like you've been busy and having fun.

Love your Token finish, it's gorgeous.

Leigh said...

You finished The Token!! Remember we started it head is hanging in shame! It looks GREAT!

I love all your pics! How great to see Laura and Jen and Justin!!

I was very excited to see that you had posted. I miss you!!