Thursday, January 9, 2014

Weekly (and Yearly?) Update



I was able to finish my Do One Thing Each Day embroidery on Friday and Wednesday I picked up a frame. Hopefully I can get it finished and on the wall this weekend.



I also signed up for 2014 WIPocolypse yesterday. I need to actually go through my WIP's (and UFO's) to see what I want to focus on this year.  The last time I actually did an inventory of my projects that had at least 1 stitch in them, I had over 50!

Looking back though the photos I took of projects I finished in 2013, I was pleasantly surprised that I DID get some things done.

Working backwards from the most recent:



After giving this quilt top to my Step-Mom last Christmas (2012), I finally got it quilted!  I was terrified to quilt with the snuggle fabric she wanted on the back, but once it was mounted, it really wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.  I'm a VERY beginning long-arm quilter, and I it took me a year to get up the courage.

The top is from the Eleanor Burns Baby Lock retreat I went to in Provo last year.  It was pieced using a serger, which was kind of fun, and REALLY fast! The pattern is Fabric Frenzy.

All in all, I think it turned out OK, and I loved the texture the quilting gave on the back!



For my Dad for Christmas, I made this Bent Creek Santa Globe that I've had in my stash for years.  One of my friends stitched a different snowglobe and had it framed as a shadow box, which I thought was such a cool idea, so I did the same.  I LOVE how it turned out!



I stitched this at a mini-retreat in mid-November with some close friends - I was able to get it done in a 24-hour period, and I loved stitching it, so much so that I asked for the kit for Snowglobe Mantle for Christmas, which is my current WIP.

The second day of the retreat, I stitched this Lizzy Kate piece, again from deep within my stash.  This little guy looks like Korben - DH wants me to add white around the eye, so I still need to do that, then decide if I want to frame it or make an ornie.



In early November, I got to take a class from Lori Holt at My Girlfriend's Quilt Shoppe.  The project was this cute, scrappy sewing machine cover from her new book Quilty Fun.  It contains 90 different fabrics from my scrap bin (OK, I also had to break into a charm pack).  I was happy to finish it in a month, and not have it languish in my WIP pile.




Also from a Lori Holt class at the same shop (this one a few years ago), I was able to finally finish this appliqué piece, Sew She Did.  I changed the colors to better match my sewing room, and I love it!




Sometime in the fall (I don't remember exactly when), I finished this wonderful piece from Rosewood Manor called Halloween Quilt Sampler.  I started it in September 2012, so just a little over a year to stitch, which with my track record is still pretty good!



I went on a Quilt Retreat in September and was able to get two projects done start to finish.

The first was this cute wool pumpkin.  These kits were given to us a favors at the retreat by the wonderful ladies that organized it.  I started it immediately because I love to do wool applique!   I don't remember the pattern name because I passed it on to a friend.



And the second was my Hippy Hippy Shake Shake quilt top by Abby Lane Quilts. 
I've had this kit for several years - it was one of the first quilt kits I bought.  It'll look great in my sewing room once I get it quilted. 



In August, I took a few days off work to play in my sewing room and got two projects completed. 

The first one was a kit from Pine Needes for this adorable Cherry Pie Pin Cushion. I enjoyed stitching it and would really like to make more in the series. 




The other piece was started in May or June of 2012 (I think).  It was a kit from My Girlfriend's Quilt Shoppe. I love making yo-yo's and had so much fun with this.




And finally, last spring, I finished this Sweetheart Tree C is for Kitty-Cat. I already have a frame for it, I just need to actually frame it!



I also quilted two charity quilts made by guild members - they were great practice!  






I really hope that this year I can get more time on my machine and become a more confident quilter!

Here's to hoping 2014 sees even more finishes!


No comments: